The History of Phoenix BPW-Arizona
Excerpts from Women Who Made a Difference Volume III
published by AZBPW Foundation
On September 27,1915, a Phoenix Business Girls club was organized as part of Phoenix YWCA. Pat Davidson was president. Twice -monthly meetings alternated between lunch and dinner.The first headquarters were in the old Central school where a restroom and kitchen were furnished with the assistance of Phoenix Women’s Club, civic leagues and businessmen.
In 1918 the Phoenix Business Girls Club joined the Arizona Federation of Women’s clubs for one year.However, President Leila Seaman attended the first organizational meeting of BPW/USA in St Louis, in July 1919. When she returned, the club reorganized with the name Phoenix Business and Professional Women’s Club.
On February 12,1921.Phoenix BPW hosted the organizational meeting of the Arizona Federation and became one of six charter clubs of BPW/AZ. In 1921, Phoenix BPW officially incorporated and maintained continuous affiliation with BPW/AZ and BPW/USA.
Phoenix BPW Past Presidents